- Guaranteed same day shipping on 1000's of products
- Hassle-free returns and exchanges
- No sales tax on orders outside California!
- Exceptional customer service with live service representatives available via phone, chat or email
- Real customer reviews on products
Why Buy from Air Conditioner Home
Shopping with Air Conditioner Home is easy and risk-free. We guarantee your satisfaction by offering the following benefits with each and every purchase:
Featured in our Learning Library
- Help, I Don't Understand Air Conditioner Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) Ratings!
Learn what EER is, how it's used and what it means for you.
- How to Vent a Portable Air Conditioner
Watch a short step-by-step video and learn how to vent a portable AC the right way.
- Choose the Best Water Dispenser for Your Home or Office
Get fresh, great tasting water all year with this easy guide to choosing the best dispenser.
- Home Dehumidifiers: 8 Tricks to Protect Your Health and Home
Home dehumidifiers are a great solution for staying comfortable in hot, sticky weather. But they can help make your home healthier too. Find out how!
- Portable AC BTU Guide: What Size Air Conditioner Does My Room Need?
Learn how to correctly size the room you are trying to cool and how to choose the right portable air conditioner for you.
- Is Your AC Making You Sick?
Read this article for more information on how your AC might be making you sick and what you can do to keep from getting sick.
Should You Buy a Portable Air Conditioner or an Evaporative Cooler?
Before you start shopping for your next portable cooling appliance, make sure you are informed about all your choices. Do you know the differences between an air conditioner and a swamp cooler? If you buy the wrong one, you might end up unhappy with your purchase. At Air Conditioner Home, we want to make sure you get the right product to suit your personal cooling needs. Here's a quick rundown so you know how to make the right choice.
Portable Air Conditioners
Air conditioners use a compressor and chemical coolant to cool air via the refrigeration process. A hose connected to the outside pulls hot air into the unit where it is cooled and excess water removed. The exhaust (hot air) is vented back outside, and a fan circulates the cool, dry air throughout the room.
- Portable ACs work well in any environment and climate.
- They can also function as air filters and dehumidifiers.
- Don't require permanent installation and are easy to move wherever cooling is needed.
- Need to be vented outdoors in order to operate correctly, but include an easy-to-use window kit for quick set-up.
Portable Swamp Coolers
Swamp coolers are also known as evaporative coolers or air coolers, and rely on the natural power of evaporation to cool the air. A fan pulls hot air through water-soaked pads and as the water evaporates, the temperature of the air is lowered. The cool, humid air is circulated through the room where it provides relief in hot, dry weather.
- Swamp coolers are less expensive to purchase than air conditioners and use less energy to operate.
- Since they use no chemical coolants, they are environmentally friendly.
- Don't require venting or ducts, but do depend upon a supply of fresh air from an open window.
- Can provide cooling indoors and outdoors.
- Won't work in high humidity. When the air is already saturated with water, no evaporation can take place and you won't notice any cooling effect.