What is a Portable AC
Portable air conditioners are mobile cooling units. Unlike their bulky and expensive counterparts, (central air conditioners and window units), portable ACs do not require specialized installation. These types of AC units are electrical and owners usually delight in how user-friendly and convenient they are. Recent trends show that most families favor purchasing several portable ACs rather than purchasing a pricey central air system.
These room air conditioners can be easily moved from room to room, and since most come with wheels, creating a cool comfortable living environment has never been made easier. Providing effective spot cooling, a portable AC can be rolled to just about wherever you need heat-relief. Common uses for these units include apartments, offices, or in homes where window, wall and central units are not desired or practical options.
Do portable ACs have other functions?
||Yes! These days, most ACs don't just cool, but can also function as heaters, fans, and dehumidifiers. Dehumidifying mobile ACs lower room temperatures a refrigeration cycle, which results in reduced humidity of the air processed by the system. This in turn offers relatively lowered humidity levels - which is particularly appealing if you live in a humid climate and want the benefits of both a dehumidifier and an air conditioner. If a multi-purpose AC is what you're looking for, be certain to pay close attention to the listed features for each AC to make sure it suits your needs.
If a multi-purpose unit is exactly what you need, consider the AC-12000H New Air Portable Air Conditioner, which boasts heating, cooling and dehumidifying/auto-evaporative technology.
How do portable air conditioners work?
Portable air conditioners have two main parts: a box-like frame that holds both the hot and cold side of the unit, and an exhaust hose to expel heat. This exhaust hose needs to be placed near a window vent to ensure that unwanted hot air doesn't get re-circulated back into the room.
As these ACs cool the air, they remove the water and use most of it to cool the actual unit - resulting in more efficient cooling. The remainder of the condensate (water vapor in the air that becomes liquid) is disposed of in one of two ways:
- A bucket or tray inside the portable AC collects water, which must eventually be emptied.
- Water evaporate and is funneled through the main venting hose, out through a window or opening.
While these units don't require traditional installation, users should keep in mind that the external exhaust will need to be readjusted to another opening or window each time the unit is moved to another room. Fortunately, all portable air conditioners include easy-to-use window adapter kits used to keep the hose firmly in place. These kits also provide foam insulation for partially opened windows.
Top five reasons to purchase a portable air conditioner:
- Clean Air - Portable air conditioners include air purifying filters. Depending on the specific type of mobile unit, they can sometimes even include ionizers and activated carbon filters to help improve air quality. Because all environments include pollutants, investing in a unit that can actually remove toxic elements is something every individual should consider. If you have a family with small children, elderly people, or allergy sufferers, clean air is not just a luxury but a necessity. Furthermore, clean air benefits everyone since it considerably improves immune systems and significantly decreases asthma and allergy attacks.
- Simplicity - Unlike traditional cooling systems, mobile AC units offer easy installation that don't require a costly and difficult process. The only consideration that portable ACs require is the external hose adjustment. Even though this hose needs to be vented, this is easily done with the the included window kit.
- Mobility - Perhaps one of the most attractive features of these types of cooling devices is the ease with which they can be moved from room to room. Nearly all portable ACs also include caster wheels, which lets you roll your new best friend with you wherever you go.
- Energy-Efficient - One of the reasons traditional central cooling units are so expensive is because there is no way to filter which rooms are cooled. Families are forced to waste countless dollars cooling rooms no one is using. And this is exactly why portable ACs are increasingly favored among families looking to save money on their electricity bill. Most units also operate on 115 volts, 60 Hz and have high energy efficient ratios.
- Adaptable - Most portable room air conditioners now feature more than just a cooling mode. It's easy to find reasonably priced units that including heating, cooling, fanning and dehumidifying features. These additional modes ensure that you're cooling unit will be used throughout the year.
15 Places You Can Use a Portable Air Conditioner